Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Post AIC adventures

Last post 29-06-2007, 5:36 PM by Anonymous. 29 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (30 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  17-06-2007, 5:05 PM 1427

Post AIC adventures

Hi!

Anyone keen on doing something after AIC? I'd like to go so much to Tongariro crossing, Mt. Ruapehu or Mt. Taranaki areas but would need some more experienced with me. I have winter tramping experience but not with the ice axe and crampons. It would be fun to practice those skills learned in the course. My friend might come as well and have a van, which would solve the transportation problem. It might be clever to go where ever directly from the course. I should be back by Wednesday in Welly cause I flight on Thursday back to Finland. Of course some other places can be considered as well. It would be just nice to do something fun during the last days:)! So, anyone?!

Katriina 

•  18-06-2007, 12:08 PM 1433 in reply to 1427

Re: Post AIC adventures

My last exam is Monday. So why not doing something cool before Mid-Winter trip leaves on Thursday!?

Let me know! 

•  19-06-2007, 1:23 PM 1435 in reply to 1427

Hi Katriina,

I'd be keen for the crossing next week. I have between tues-thurs off and have done the trip before. Could  maybe squeeze in some hot pools as well!.

Scott 

•  19-06-2007, 2:35 PM 1438 in reply to 1435

awesome - let's talk about this tonight! 

•  19-06-2007, 10:23 PM 1440 in reply to 1438

Let me know what you guys planned today:) I just arrived from my extempore Wanganui trip..and spent an hour at Tinakori road in a police car cause they didn't let me to walk to home due to some bomb doubt..maybe I should have just stayed in Wanganui...

Katriina 

•  20-06-2007, 11:34 AM 1444 in reply to 1427

Hey Katriina and all other people interested!!

I'm the dude with the van (so it's not just an anonymous guy) and I'm practically free for all the rest of the holidays. I'm pretty much up to every tramping experience, but exercising our "new" winter tramping skills would be fantastic. Katriina told me that she got some information about the Tongariro crossing in Winter, let's see ... Do we need to arrange something before Friday? There's space for 4-5 other people in my van (4 is probably better as we all have our packs; that does not include myself). Shall we just discuss this on the AIC itself? Looking forward to some cool days!!

Cheers! Andreas

•  20-06-2007, 2:16 PM 1447 in reply to 1444

I've had a chat with Scott yesterday. And there were a few people keen as well. I remember just Burkhard, but I think there were more...

We talked about doing the Tongariro Crossing. That would involve driving up there on Tuesday, doing the crossing on Wednesday and driving back the same day. As it is a crossing, we need two cars. 

Because of the petrol costs, it would be cool to fill most of the available seats.

We've got Andreas's van (5-6 people including him) and a second car for another 4-5 people.

So... who else is keen then? 

•  20-06-2007, 3:14 PM 1448 in reply to 1447

So would it be impossible to drive directly from AIC to Tongariro and do the crossing on Monday or Tuesday? Do you Scott have to work then?

i really have to be in Wellington by Wednesday evening cause my flight leaves on Thursday morning. Remember that the weather changes and it might happen that on some particular day it is impossible to do the track (or at least not wise)...That's what I heard from a girl who were there just yesterday..

Katriina 

•  20-06-2007, 3:45 PM 1450 in reply to 1448

If you went there directly, I'd really need a ride as I cannot attend AIC.

This is why I would really prefer the Tuesday/Wednesday option.You'll just need to pack your stuff in advance, Katriina ;-)

I think we'll be fine on the track at (almost) any weather, especially as Scott, who did the trip before, is going to be with us.

•  20-06-2007, 11:15 PM 1451 in reply to 1450

Ok. So, I suggest that Andrea, me and anyone else keen? will head after AIC to National park and do some other tracks there on Monday. Could you Scott and Matthias arrive there already during Monday? If not, then let's do the crossing on Wednesday. Scott, you mentioned hot pools..Where abouts are they? Yep, I'll pack my things ready. But I want to make sure that someone will drive to Welly during Wednesday. I know this is an awesome country but I don't want to get stacked here but fly to enjoy +27 degrees in Finland;)!

Oh yeah about the track: well even the guides didn't tramp the crossing for many days due to the weather conditions... sure  I trust Scott's experience, just don't want to end up in hospital again....

Katriina 

•  21-06-2007, 8:19 AM 1452 in reply to 1451

Heyo

so i'm keen for this adventure. will probably go up with natalie on monday or sunday night and meet up with you guys. would be cool to do the xing tuesday so we can chill at the hotpools after, but whatever works. perhaps having a backup plan for bad weather would be good ie more hotpools ;)

awsomeness, -Jess

Jess Clark
  •  21-06-2007, 12:54 PM 1453 in reply to 1452

Hot pools sound incredibly appealing.

My Monday exam is 9:30-12:30. So I'd be ready to leave Welly around 2pm.

How's that? 

//edit: I've just read that Scott has off from Tues-Thurs. Can we drive up there Monday evening then?

•  21-06-2007, 2:12 PM 1454 in reply to 1453

Damn car!!! Anybody into car mechanics?

Hey girls & guys!

I don't want to be a spoilsport but there's a little problem concerning my van. I haven't been using the damn thing for about two weeks and tried to start it just yesterday and the battery seems to be flat or something. I really try to fix it today or tomorrow morning. I may just need a new battery and I hope it's nothing more time-taking. You may have noticed: I'm not exactly an expert on cars. So if somebody is: don't hesitate to come round and have a semi-professional look at it (mobile 021 2950821). I'm sorry for this but my darling is about 20 years old, hope the problem is going to be fixed tommorrow. Oh, and Katriina, I can surely take you back on Wednesday. Fingers crossed!!!

Andreas

•  21-06-2007, 4:32 PM 1455 in reply to 1454

Re: Damn car!!! Anybody into car mechanics?

Hey Andi,

Did you already try to jumpstart your baby? And you had a flat battery right afterwards, again? Not that I were an expert for cars and sh...

If you've got a space left and are heading back to Welly on Wed. next week I might sneak in, as well. The Xing is certainly sweet in winter if the vis is reasonably good (but lil bit too cold for cross dressing, aye). The hotpools in Ohakune are quite neat, too.

Is someone booking the accomodation at YHA National Park (if the no. of participants is known at this stage)?

Cheers,

Nicolai

•  21-06-2007, 6:51 PM 1459 in reply to 1453

I would be really keen on crossing and hotpooling.
    But i also have to sit an exam on monday afternoon. Anyway i will be at AIC the weekend.

Page 1 of 2 (30 items)   1 2 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML